Joomla is known as one of the most popular open source content management systems (CMS) in business. WordPress, which is another popular CSM, was in the business of providing FREE but restricted hosting for WordPress based sites under WORDPRESS.COM domain. This WordPress service has been known for higher positions in Google page rankings and higher visitor turnarounds.
Recently (actually on January 20, 2015) Joomla has started providing the same service in lesser-restricted way. By providing an option to have a free-hosted website for unlimited time, Joomla aims to become even more popular and substantially increase its user base.
What you will get
- Hosting of the website is FREE.
- Free site name at the joomla.com subdomain (ex: mywebsite.joomla.com).
- Comes pre-installed with additional extensions, templates, and all available languages
- Automatic updates
- No Advertising
- The Joomla backend is translated in more than 50 different languages making Joomla.com a great opportunity for people all around the world to start their online presence easily and freely.
- Easy to upgrade to a fully hosted service with custom domain
- Can be moved at any time to any hosting service
- Joomla is one of the most popular open source CMS platforms used by millions of people around the world for almost 10 years and Joomla.com users can take full advantage of the already collected knowledge and the existing big and helpful community.
So what are the Downsides / Limitations
(Remember you can always upgrade for some little amount of money, what I have listed here are limitations for free users)
- Free Space is 200 MB (but no page limit)
- You have to upgrade for a custom domain (same as WordPress)
- No official customer support (can use ORG forums and other resources)
- Extensions and templates installation restricted
- Limited mailing functionality
Now go to JOOMLA.COM and grab your favorite sub-domain quickly.